Captain's Log

 

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Mull Adventure Blog - Part 4

d so we return once more to a little corner of my brain to explore what lies within. And I do believe that where we left that exploration was at the pony trekking adventure with Helen and Andrea.

The trek set off down the lane and into a trot along a short stretch of road. It was fabulous to be back in the saddle and Smokey had a lovely gait. As I was promised he did indeed look after me and it was only a short amount of time before we reached the beach. This particular beach was a lovely wild affair, pebbles stretching far, calm water and, as we were to find out, fantastic wildlife! I won’t go so far as to suggest that we spotted an otter, that would just be ridiculous now wouldn’t it! However, once we’d crossed a fast flowing stream and along a shingle bank towards the sand we were joined by a White Tailed Sea Eagle. Now I thought I was getting good views of these creatures from the boat but they paled in comparison to this encounter! Flying directly overhead, seemingly lead by curiosity at the four-legged creatures we were riding our feathered friend circled above and ever closer. What a sight!

And so it was that it was time for our canter across the sand. As I’m sure many people will agree, there can be something rather magical about cantering along a beach, especially with mountainous backdrops and friends on a horse by your side. However Smokey, obviously having seen these spectacular sights many a time before, was more concerned by his stomach. Just as we were setting off into a canter the greedy little guy grabbed a huge frond of seaweed and was happily munching away on it as we trotted and eventually into the canter. I was told he was like a rocking horse which I found to be true and we sailed along the shoreline with the large piece of seaweed dangling from his mouth! The canter didn’t last long, Smokey being more content to trot and myself unable to convince him otherwise but it was absolutely fantastic and I know it was a dream come true for Helen. Andrea’s horse was content to stay just behind mine and so they didn’t really have a canter but all was not lost as we shall explore later!

With the canter being over we headed up the beach and along some tracks into areas of forest, periodically trotting and walking and occasionally stopping when Smokey thought of his stomach again and I was unable to pull his head up from the ground. He was a cheeky little pony! But in fairness for him walking through a field of sweet grass much be like us walking through a field of chocolate. In no time at all we were walking through forests and through little streams and trotting along the lanes in a very enjoyable fashion. Chatting to Helen and Andrea along the way and trying to get photos of us all together was hilarious and I couldn’t stop grinning, it was such a fabulous experience, better than any trek I’ve ever been on and believe me I’ve been on some amazing treks! We even saw deer along the way, who again seemed less frightened of humans if they were on horseback, it’s an interesting concept.

Eventually we found ourselves back along the beach as we headed home for another canter. Helen, Andrea and I hung back so we could all canter together and get a film of it. The idea worked...for the first 5 seconds...until Caspian steamed ahead! However that feeling of unity between all 6 of us for those brief seconds will still with me for a long time. Andrea finally got her canter on Oak and I had another one too although in the film Smokey helpfully decided to head back into the trot. Once back at the stables we happily dismounted, Andrea being shocked by the short distance down from her 14hh pony compared to her 17hh horse back home!

We came back to the caravan happy, smiley and beginning even then to stiffen up! The next morning the insides of my legs were like lead so hobbling around the office was a rather hilarious affair! Sadly though this was the morning Helen and Andrea were leaving and so I said goodbye and they headed off for the ferry, their soaking wet tent taking pride of place in the boot. I was very sad to see them go but glad that they had come, it had been an incredible few days. But now they were gone there was work to be done, in the office, on the boat and with the Otter hunt! Now dear reader these animals are, as I have mentioned before proving themselves to be rather elusive little animals so don’t go thinking that, after all this time on Mull I may well have seen one by now...I haven’t! However one glorious evening after a day in the office I decided to head over to Loch Na Keal as it was supposedly another good Otter site. Having gotten advice about Otters and tides from my boss I knew as I arrived that I had come too late as the tide was high and the seaweed and rocks hidden beneath the water.

However the drive was beyond spectacular with even narrower roads than I had originally experienced on the island, the sea on one side, mountains on the other and the sun in its first early throes of beginning to think about setting. Whilst driving I came across a dried up river bed that led a scar up half the side of a mountain face. For these contexts I will use the term mountain but, although it was very steep and high it was no Everest! Upon spotting this rocky route tempting me upwards I decided to go for it, led on a whim and sheer curiosity as to what I would find at the top. The great climb began. It was epic!
I will use this opportunity dear reader to explain several things I did wrong in this most wonderful of evenings in the hope that you will ignore the terrible example I set if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. For one thing no one knew where I was. That was bad. For another I had no credit on my phone, another error and for a third, although I am reasonably fit, had decent footwear on and was used to doing this sort of thing it had been a long time since I had therefore I knew as I climbed that any slip could prove very disastrous. Thankfully none occurred. Sheep watched me as I left the old riverbed onto vast and steep expanses of grass and ferns. Picking my way up the sheep tracks (ever trusting nature’s judgement) I stopped along the way to take some photos, admire the view and spot the car looking ever smaller on the road far below me.
Reaching the top and clambering over I was slightly breathless from the ascent and stopped on the ledge to look all around me. The views across the loch to Eorsa were stunning and behind me, stretched out as if there was never such a thing as a city were vast plains of heath land, touched neither by man nor animal. I stayed on the top awhile, drinking in the views, trying to do them justice with my camera and reading a little in the peaceful atmosphere.

However this dream could not go on forever and as the sun started to set I began my descent. Once at the bottom again I drove home in the fading light feeling at peace with the world and everything in it. I’ve found Mull does that to you. You can be stressed and pressed for time and worried about a million things but somehow the Island doesn’t let those thoughts encroach on your day. They are still there, waiting to be dealt with but in your own time and at your own pace. Some people describe what’s known as “Mull Magic” and I think this might be it. I don’t believe in magic but I know that Mull has something about it. I think God must have been having a really good day when he made this place and I’m very grateful that he did.

Sarah
Guide