Captain's Log

 

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Mull Adventure Blog - Part 5

When we think about diversity, hopefully it’s how we see our cultures, maybe it’s how we see our opinions and possibly we think of that dance group that won X factor’s got talent or something along those lines! But recently dear reader, life has had some very diverse twists and turns for me. You can go from peaceful serenity to lively conversation and enthusiastic (!) dancing in the space of an hour. It’s amazing how quickly you can adapt and savour the moment, definitely a good lesson to have learned.

But I do apologise most profusely, my ramblings have become a bore once again and so I shall plough on with the adventure tale. However I hope to show through this what a diverse mix of experiences this island has to offer.

It began with another glorious evening after a day at work in which a lovely lass called Megan (who was working where I live) knocked on my caravan and explained that a few people were going out on the bay with the boat and would I like to come? I of course said yes, mentally noting the beautiful light and packing both camera and long lens. She then explained that they were going for a swim and would I like to go in too. After the initial shock at how brave (or crazy) they were being I declined given my distinct ineptness at this particular sport. The wellies were donned, the boat launched and out into the bay we went. The peace out there was indescribable, we weren’t even that far out but the water was but rippling glass, the sun in its last throes of setting and, despite being by the “main road” not a vehicle in sight or earshot. And so, as I happily snapped away, the three girls and my landlord jumped in. To say it was cold was most definitely an understatement as I understood it but they seemed to enjoy it nonetheless. I took some photos of them splashing around with the sun behind them – pure magic and then they all clambered back in the boat, shivering but exhilarated. After that we floated around the bay for a while, soaking up the atmosphere and feeling calm and content with the world.

Once back on shore we traipsed up the track to the house and soon after I was called to head over to Tobermory for a night out with the SLS crew. After having jumped in the car to do the now familiar trek to the town, I found myself directed to the pub next door to the Harbour Visitor Centre and inside found Ruth followed by Lydia and Craig (ex guides) as well as Duncan. We headed over to “The Mishnish” which, I was to learn was a rather infamous little pub that hosted a cheesy mini disco type thing occasionally. Everyone in there seemed to know everyone else (a hazard of island living I guess) and soon Lydia and Ruth were dancing away to some of the songs that held memories for them from last year. Lydia seemed somewhat impressed that I was up for joining in without any alcohol gracing my system although it took the boys a little “convincing”! Frazer, who we found at the pub had possibly had a little too much of the stuff in his system but we were all having a good time. It struck me at this point that barely an hour previously I had been on a boat in a bay as chilled as it was possible to be and now I was enjoying some thumping tunes in a pub. Diverse? Yes!

3am came and went and with the knowledge that most of us would be at sea tomorrow we thought it wise to call it a night. I say this but the time did just happen to coincide, most coincidently with closing time! Either way, everyone piled in my car so I could take them up the rather formidable hill. This most short of car journeys turned out to be impeccably hilarious! Firstly the windscreen was misted up but I set off anyway, much to the concern of Ruth who was convinced I couldn’t see a thing. Secondly I was being directed (most unhelpfully) in every direction they could think of before I realised where it was we were headed. Thirdly, half way up the afore mentioned formidable hill there is a junction that doesn’t look like a junction. Now do understand dear reader that I am a responsible driver (despite others claims!) so given the time of night and generic lack of cars on the island I swung round and through the junction without much thought. This action then prompted Lydia to ask, in a most stringent tone whether I had bothered to even LOOK left?! It made me chuckle to say the least!

After dropping off the SLS crew at Ruth’s house and getting excited about seeing a hedgehog in the driveway I headed back to the caravan. The road, obviously empty, did seem rather eerie in the pitch black but I was accompanied by the eye shine of many a sheep, deer and the odd rabbit having a late night party.
Once back at Glen Aros Lodge I walked up the track and came across two Australians sitting in patio chairs wrapped up in duvets watching the stars. Now several things struck me as unusual about this particular scene as I’m guessing my dear readers can imagine, it was 3:30am after all! Admiring the stunning sky for a brief second I conceded that it was indeed bed time and collapsed inside my sleeping bag for a grand total of 4 hours sleep.

Needless to say the next day brought with it some aspect of fatigue but I have failed to mention the special-ness of what the next day would bring. Along with sunshine it brought LIFEBOAT DAY! Now some of you may wonder what lifeboat day actually is. In brief it is a day where money and awareness is raised for lifeboats and the work that they do along the coast and out at sea. Work that, I must add, is of the utmost importance. SLS was running seal cruises all day with all proceeds going to the lifeboats. As well as this there were various stalls in the car park, tours of the lifeboats themselves and even, much to my delight, a rodeo bull! (Just to clarify, this was a mechanical bull, not a real live creature.) Now on this particular day I was working in the office with Natalie but soon entered into the spirit of lifeboat day (for it does indeed have a spirit) in every way I could. One such way was decided to locate some facepaint and decorate my face with the lifeboat flag. Upon closer inspection this did seem to resemble the England football team flag but with RNLI stamped across my forehead and cheeks I’m hoping our visitors got the point. This prompted a brief conversation with my boss as to whether I should undertake some facepainting as a stall outside. Encouraged by Maggie (a truly awesome person and sister of my hero) I did indeed go outside and started painting some flags on people. This quickly evolved into butterflies, big cats and, on one occasion, a pink kitten with green glitter spots!

Whilst this was going on we had Ewan and Frazer selling seal cruises by the bucket load (with Frazer becoming a human billboard) and Duncan guiding on Sula Beag. Meanwhile Ruth and Lydia were preparing for the grand and epic life raft race and dear reader it was indeed an epic affair!

Now dear reader as most of you know I have never lived on Mull for a considerable length of time and thus was unaware of the fun to be had on lifeboat day in general and in particular, the hilarity and comradeship that occurs during the life raft race. SLS did indeed have a life raft entered, homemade as per specification. Anticipation mounted as the (essential) life jackets were donned and rafts set afloat in the harbour. Team SLS set off and almost immediately were in the water so decided to swim. And swim they did, beating several rather imaginative raft designs as well as lifeboat staff themselves! They didn’t quite win outright but it was a very valiant effort and stood as I was on the quayside, happily taking photographic evidence I felt truly honoured to be part of such an amazing team.

I now turn your attention back to the mechanical rodeo bull mentioned earlier. I, of course, child that I am, was desperate to have a go and I finally got the chance after the race. I vaulted on and away we spun until, 42 seconds later I fell off, smearing face paint everywhere and laughing my head off. I had 48 seconds to beat so immediately tried again only to fail at 40 seconds this time. Humbly beaten I cheered as the next person sailed through 1 minute and beyond, he was good!

And so it was that the awesome-ness of lifeboat day came to a close and everything was packed up. Whilst packing up was undertaken I went back into the office to find Nat and offer apologies at rather abandoning her throughout the day. What I found however were several crates of alcohol! It turned out we (SLS and the lifeboat crew) were to be having a barbeque...at sunset...on a pontoon...on Mull! I fell in love with the idea instantly (who wouldn’t?!) and helped take afore mentioned alcohol, burgers, sausages etc down to Sula Beag.

We set off straight across the harbour to pick up some people and then on to the pontoon. It was beyond idyllic! Some fished for mackerel over the side whilst Popz gave a small speech, punctuated perfectly by the news that the first fish had been caught! The sun shone, music was played, food was eaten, photos were taken; it was magic! It should be mentioned that by this point my face paint had been on my face for a few hours too long and was beginning to annoy me but in such a happy mood it barely mattered. However it was at this time that a small wager was placed on the fishing proficiency of two of our friends. Lydia was adamant she could catch a fish quickly and so this was put to the test. Dear reader she was wrong, but only just! And so the forfeit was undertaken, in she jumped and swam back onto the pontoon to dry off in the last of the sun.

Our appetites sated, the temperature turning cold and with the day nearly over we decided to start thinking about heading back. But not before Lippy and a friend decided to have a swim. The decision was made to jump in from Sula Beag. Lippy made a spectacular dive and splash closely followed by his friend confidently shouting “APRIL FOOL!” over the side and sauntering back along the boat, remaining warm and dry. We all laughed!

Lifeboat day ended and recently we found it raised £3000 so we were all very proud of our efforts. A fabulous team doing amazing things for a worthy cause.

Sarah
Guide